LANSING MUZZLE LOADING GUN CLUB 1942 to 2010
Prepared by: J.B. Brotherton and Chuck Langworthy
The club started up in 1942 by five men. Chuck Langworthy is the only remaining member of the original five.
They would get together in an old hardware store, owned by one of the members, on Saginaw St. and Butler Blvd. The owner died, and the building was sold. After that time, the rest of the members took turns holding meetings at their homes. At this time there was no shooting due to WW II.
After 1945 -1946 veterans started coming home from the war, and the club then started gaining new members, as many of these vets wanted to continue to shoot and hunt with their old guns. The purpose of the club was to promote the competitive shooting of muzzle loading firearms.
Most of the rifles used at that time were old originals. Several members wanted to learn and teach building of muzzle loaders. For a little over five years, Chuck Langworthy carried a small white metal box around collecting dues and donations.
After a period of time Chuck collected $ 900.00 and received a $100.00 loan, giving the club $1000.00 for a down payment on some land. In 1964 the club bought the 40 acres of land where the club now sets. Hundreds of trees were planted on the hills behind range back stop. we ended up with 25, 50, and 100 yard ranges. Later a makeshift shotgun range was developed at the north end of the 25 yard firing line. A 200-yard range and make shift primitive range were set up diagonally northwest to southeast across the center of the 40 acres, from our present shotgun range.
Our first club house was an old CCC simulated log cabin about 20’ x 30’. Steel cables on the inside walls pulled the walls inward to make the cabin solid. The front 2/3rds was the kitchen and the back 1/3rd was the scoring and target room. After we paid off our first mortgage, we were able to purchase an additional 20 acres about 1/4 mile east of our 40 acres for our primitive range.
It is very ideal for this purpose, containing a swamp, a creek and high hogback ridge. Our new shotgun range was completed with a new trap house and light system for night shooting.
In 2010, a covered loading area was added.
The club maintains a 501-C non-profit license status. We operate with an executive board of directors, consisting of a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and three Directors. We work with several committees; Shotgun, Primitive, Kitchen, Grounds, Buildings and Facilities. Revenue is generated from club dues, shoot registrations, and our kitchen food sales at our larger shoots.
We rent our range and clubhouse to other organizations, such as the State Muzzle Loading Association for their championship matches. With our hard work and the sources of income, we were able to start building our present clubhouse and kitchen in 2000.
We moved into the new building in 2005 /6. Club priorities are set by the Board and voted on at our monthly meetings. Each committee submits an annual budget for needed supplies and repairs for board consideration.